Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Passing of Sensei Bob Callahan

I learned last night that my Tai Chi/Karate teacher, Sensei Bob Callahan, passed away over the weekend.  I studied with Sensei Bob for 12 years, starting in Tai Chi and then Karate.  He was a great teacher and takes a vast body of martial arts knowledge with him.  He taught in the tradition of old masters, caring more for his students than himself.  He will be missed by me and those of us who's life he made better with his teaching. Rest in Peace Sensei Bob.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan,
    Thanks for posting this. I was just looking through some of my old files and came across some Tai chi stuff and was wondering what became of Sensei Bob and Wendy Sterling. I did a google search and found your blog. I remember taking tai chi classes with you way back in 1994-96 when I was in the Coast Guard, stationed in Cleveland.. I went on to do a bunch of different things (see www.linkedin.com/davidsprunt if you're interested) and now live in Littleton, Colorado, near Denver, but I'm still doing tai chi occasionally.. probably not as much as I should. Sensei Bob's classes were my first exposure to tai chi and I still remember most of the first third of the 108 form... muscle memory dies hard.
    One memory that comes back of the time in the dojo in Bay Village - Bob brought out one of those sharp swords and had us squat quickly as he swung it at our heads.. yikes.. hard to forget that.
    Anyway, I hope all is well with you and yours. All the best to you, my tai chi brother :-)
    David Sprunt (dsprunt@aol.com).. also on LinkedIn and Facebook

    ReplyDelete